- Category: Minutes and Motions
- Published on Saturday, 16 August 2014
- Written by ISN
IS Network steering committee meeting (12-viii-2014)
Present: Paris, Simon, Luke, James, Kris
Apologies: Alison, Kat
Note - Paul appeared by phone on the call but had technical problems
- Discussion about last National Members' Meeting (NMM) - how do we think it went?
- Discussion about next NMM - suggestions for the ad hoc working group
- Discussion over the documents from the last NMM, any ideas on improvements, possible amending or compositing to make proceedings at the next NMM clearer?
- Report back on areas of work that we are committed to from the last NMM (details in the minutes)
1. Discussion about last NMM
General discussion on the NMM in London on 3rd August.
Action point: Paris to invite Birmingham comrades to send a delegate to the SC.
2. Discussion about next NMM - suggestions for the ad hoc working group
Discussion about the work of the ad hoc working group for the next NMM.
The dates for the bulletin contributions have been circulated, they are 24 August 7 September 21 September
A draft agenda will be circulated but will be subject to alteration based on what documents come in.
3. Discussion over the documents from the last NMM
Simon and Kris will collaborate on a joint document and try and focus the debate around amendments rather than counterposed documents for the next NMM
4. Report back on areas of work that we are committed to from the last NMM
Simon - Left Unity public sector conference (13th September – 12noon – 5pm Chadswell Healthy Living Centre, Lower Ground Floor, Chadswell, Harrison Street, London, WC1H 8JE Nearest tube Kings Cross)
James reported on the ad hoc committee for organising the NMM in September. London will have an aggregate meeting prior to the next NMM.
Luke - Leeds/Bradford meeting prior to NMM to discuss branch strategy for the following months.
Emma is working on the transphobia meeting, scheduled for 20th September in London.
Antirascist antifascist meeting/work: a document is being discussed which will form the basis for a future antiracist/antifascist conference in the near future to be co-organised with SR and rs21.
Action point: Simon to send details of Birmingham members to Paris
Luke raised the question of the publications group, which is limited in its functioning and in need of an overhaul. Given it has editorial control there is the need for accountability and political direction.
James suggested that whatever the outcome of the structure of the organisation we should still have accountable roles. Agree with Luke that publications group should be politically accountable but at the moment we are not in a position to have hard political elections.
Next meeting on 18th August, 7pm