- Category: Minutes and Motions
- Published on Sunday, 10 August 2014
- Written by ISN
Minutes of IS Network national members' meeting (03-viii-2014)
Present: Kris, Tim, Paul, Steven, Tony, Hazel, Mark, Kat, Elio, Sarah, Kat, Neil, Emma, Rich, Martin, Margaret, James, Steve F, Kelly, Edd, Andy, Gareth, Richard, Joe, Sam, Louis, Mark B, Rekai
- Because of many apologies, primarily due to holidays and otherwise being out of the country, it was felt that there was not enough members at the meeting to decide any major issues.
- It was agreed to convene another National Members Meeting (aggregate) in late September. A committee was formed tasked with organising this.
- A list of political, campaigning and mobilising priorities was agreed at the end of the meeting (see section 3)
- Three members of Birmingham AntiCapitalists came to the meeting, as well as members of the International Socialist League
1. Report on members activity
Members reported on their activities and areas of work. We went round in a circle and discussed what each of us was involved in, with positives as well as challenges that we faced.
Three caucuses were held; women, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ members. There was a report back after lunch about the discussions, as well as a report back from the members who were not part of the caucuses.
3. Future plans
it was agreed that September was the best date. The conference will focus on political discussions to clarify the basis of the ISN.
Volunteers for the conference organising committee: Kris, Kat, Tim, James, Kelly, Edd, Neil, Kath, Elio, Simon, Gareth
It was provisionally suggested that Birmingham might be a good place for the NMM.
Other agreed action points taking us up to the September NMM:
- Trade Unions / Rank&File / working through Left Unity - Simon H and Tim N
- NHS / Jarrow march / pamphlet - Mark B
- Gaza document - Kat
- antiracism/antifacist conference (with rs21 and Socialist Resistance)- Tim and Rich T
- Transphobia document and conference- Emma
Key dates coming up include the 15th November Left Unity policy conference where documents on foreign policy, crime, the environment, safe spaces and education will be discussed. It is important that any opportunity for ISN members in LU branches to take part in these discussions can be coordinated and we can share ideas on amendments. At the Left Unity Women's Caucus comrades talked about raising the profile of LU as a Feminist organisation by tabling relevant resolutions. This can be done via caucuses as well as LU branches, if any ISN members are involved that way. The deadline for submission of amendments or resolutions is 9th October.
Also the October 18th TUC demonstration and the public sector strikes the week before - Hazel will take a lead in coordinating reports and articles for the website in the run up to the strikes and demonstrations.