John Riddell: Democracy in Lenin's Comintern

How did Communist parties handle issues of internal discipline and democracy in Lenin’s time? The recent intense discussion within the British Socialist Workers’ Party (SWP) and beyond has heard claims that the SWP rests on the traditions of democratic centralism inherited from the Bolsheviks.

John Riddell: Democracy in Lenin's Comintern

Richard Atkinson: Death and the Bedroom Tax

Some extended thoughts about Stephanie Bottrill, the woman who committed suicide because of the bedroom tax.

Richard Atkinson: Death and the Bedroom Tax

Dave Renton: Who Was Blair Peach?

Today marks the 35th anniversary of the killing of Blair Peach by the police. David Renton looks back at Blair Peach’s life as a poet, trade unionist and committed antifascist

Dave Renton: Who Was Blair Peach?

Bunny La Roche: Nasty Little Nigel gets a rude welcome to Kent

Bunny La Roche of RS21 on Nigel Farage's visit to Kent

Bunny La Roche: Nasty Little Nigel gets a rude welcome to Kent

Financial Appeal

We're up and running! An appeal for funds to kickstart the IS Network

Financial Appeal

IS Network steering committee teleconference minutes: 24/03/2014

Submit to DeliciousSubmit to DiggSubmit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TechnoratiSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn

Agenda

  1. Regroupment - action plan for conference
  2. LU - conference on Sat
  3. RS21
  4. Javaad's action plan
  5. Weekly worker letter?
  6. Motions put back from conference

1. RS21 conference

Stall booked, table provided. At least 4 / 5 people there all day Sat and Sun. Paris has drafted leaflet, needs feedback to be laid out and printed on Weds.

Javaad: Leaflet feedback - very good. Harden up section about criticisms of SWP Mk II (reference RS21's weak point). Political weekend has been advertised as if it were "Marxism" Also issues around LU - bring out that there are other views within Network.

Other material - talk to pubs about printing stuff done before - get hold of exchanges - AMM are bringing a stall with books

2 - Javaad's piece

No one has objected to getting organized. We should start looking ahead (even further than next week). Reading programme and also educational days look pretty good. Javaad Paris and Simon to look at drafting something to put to the committee.

Paris agrees

LU conference - meet up at the conference?

Simon thinks that the economic policy is amendable. He recommends comrades read the policy commission documents before. He doesnt think the CPGB motions will even get to be debated.

We should support the putting back of the foreign policy document. Anti racism policy and health policy are fine he thinks. He also thinks trade union motions will be up for real debate. If passed in their totality will produce a good trade union policy statement.

The Euro position: there is a clear demarcated debate between Lambeth branch (critical towards the EU but not in in favour of complete withdrawal.) and other amendments from Manchester etc that are in Simons position similar to no to EU. He thinks important to get a position agreed to shape intervention into the euro elections, whether we (left Unity) stand or not. He also thinks we shouldn't "rattle through" all the amendments.

There should be more debate.

Can ISN Members get up earlier on and argue with any attempt from standing orders committee to push through two speakers, two minutes for and against style debating because we need more time during the debates to go through the substantive issues.

Kat says: She doesn't think that Simon can say that we can go into conference with certain ideas, because we haven't really talked about stuff with members. Instead we should caucus. We haven't even talked about anti racist policy, let alone more controversial ones. How would this even work she asks? Would we get someone from the group to speak?

Kat to email the ISN- LU egroup and ask people to read them. Check who's going to the LU conference from the ISN and possibly arrange a meeting point. Will also contact the Anti racist commission group to discuss who will motivate the motion.

Javaad raised appoint about election producers, and reminded comrades of the critical questions he has over the left unity project.

Simon says an emergency motion will be introduced to okay the unconstitutional nature of one aspect of the election. More problematic is the issue that some people just randomly haven't had their names put on the ballot.

3. Regroupment conference

Simon introduced on ideas around the 26 April conference

Proposal for SC actions: Text from Richard Brenner to send to PG to put on website asap (should be sent to us very soon)

Email out to members about conference (Kris, Kat and Simon to write) Also ask members to contribute any thoughts or ideas for the meeting.

Emma and James to sort members list into three categories, active members, semi-active members and contacts (based on who goes to branches, who is in the orbit of the ISN but not necessarily organised by it and people who were members but we haven't heard from in a while.

Ask Tim N to help.

Paris to contact Rev Soc networks about coming to the conference, mobilising their supporters, etc.

SC to draft a statement for the conference (deadline April 6th)

Luke thinks it very important that we publish an announcement on the website detailing the regroupment meeting on the 26th alongside a call for bulletin contributions, in addition to an all-ISN email/Network News, National ISN facebook discussion and ISN googlegroup.

Javaad raised some political issues, putting the conference in the context of existing arguments that the process of regroupment isn't something that is identical with forming a joint group with these three organizations.

Paris proposed that we pay expenses for someone to have a mass ring round/internet trolling campaign to make sure people come.

Kris to send memebers/supporters details to James N, Emma R, and Rich T.

4. Weekly Worker

Debate about whether we should answer the letter and argue for them to engage with us in a wider process of regroupment.

Agreed to respond with a letter saying that we do not consider it useful at this time to engage with the CPGB. Vote five for, two against one abstention.