John Riddell: Democracy in Lenin's Comintern

How did Communist parties handle issues of internal discipline and democracy in Lenin’s time? The recent intense discussion within the British Socialist Workers’ Party (SWP) and beyond has heard claims that the SWP rests on the traditions of democratic centralism inherited from the Bolsheviks.

John Riddell: Democracy in Lenin's Comintern

Richard Atkinson: Death and the Bedroom Tax

Some extended thoughts about Stephanie Bottrill, the woman who committed suicide because of the bedroom tax.

Richard Atkinson: Death and the Bedroom Tax

Dave Renton: Who Was Blair Peach?

Today marks the 35th anniversary of the killing of Blair Peach by the police. David Renton looks back at Blair Peach’s life as a poet, trade unionist and committed antifascist

Dave Renton: Who Was Blair Peach?

Bunny La Roche: Nasty Little Nigel gets a rude welcome to Kent

Bunny La Roche of RS21 on Nigel Farage's visit to Kent

Bunny La Roche: Nasty Little Nigel gets a rude welcome to Kent

Financial Appeal

We're up and running! An appeal for funds to kickstart the IS Network

Financial Appeal

IS Network steering committee minutes 16/03/14

Submit to DeliciousSubmit to DiggSubmit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TechnoratiSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn

Present: Kris S, Jenny R, Kat B, Simon H, Luke S, James N, Rich T

NOTE TO MEMBERS: There is a revolutionary unity conference for ISN, ACI, WP and SR booked for the 26th April at ULU. More details to follow.

Agenda

  1. Six month action plan document
  2. Environment
  3. Publications
  4. Left Unity
  5. Revolutionary regroupment
  6. AOB

1. Six month action plan

Agreed to have an initial discussion.

Simon H talked about the need to clarify membership - one or two people, or a group to spend some time urgently to find out who is and isn't a member and is paying subs etc. Also discussed a programme for educationals and political discussions on several key issues that the ISN need to develop policy on, e.g. trade unions, nature of the working class revolutionary programme, etc. 

Kris S quite likes the overall thrust of the document and agrees that we need some more political discussion internally. 

Emma R and Rich T have volunteered to help with membership in the ISN.

Javaad A agrees with the idea of more political discussions in the organisations. There was a question about Sheffield branch's activity and other cities where there is a potential to establish functioning branches.

2. Environment

Kat B explained that the NMM asked the SC to get trade union affiliation to the CACC.

We also need to write an article on climate change/ the environment.

3. Publications

Luke S reported.

The PG is functioning but needs to work on how to get some original content for the website. PG also needs a strategy to become constitutional by coopting at least two more women to the group. Need a procedure to put the minutes from the secretaries to the PG and then onto the site. 

Minutes should be emailed to the PG address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Luke S/Rich T to set up PG email list for formal discussion and planning.

Kat - PG to write a report about their plans in time for the next SC, including delegating sufficient numbers to the Exchange clarification, about who the delegate is to the SC and whether technical skills are being shared. This process to involve the membership more widely, including development of 'mentoring' assistance.

Javaad A offered to help as a mentor (will PG collate a list of people and perhaps work out with them what support is offered and how?)

4. Left Unity

Conference is coming up at the end of March.

Kat B read out the key parts of the resolution that we agreed with at the NMM:

  • Every member should be encouraged to join LU
  • Members of LU should be encouraged to take part in local and national struggles
  • We support a party that fights for reforms, including strike action and election to parliament, alongside our long-term vision of an alternative society
  • We aim to unite the more active and class conscious activists and take those arguments in to the wider movement.
  • Build a party against austerity for an alternative, anti-capitalist society.

Javaad A explained the issue in Bradford in terms of building a LU branch. Argued that the SC should provide a space for pro-LU comrades to explain their line to the rest of the organisation. 

Simon H suggested two action points: one is discussing the ammendments and motions after they are circulated and coming up with some points of argument around teh key debates. Secondly, to clarify who is going from the ISN.

We won't know more about our work in LU until after the conference. For instance, will it pass a lot of motions which are to the right? 

Kat B and Javaad A made the point that some people are interested in the ISN but not LU so we have to be flexible. 

Kris S to get list of ISN members coming to the conference and to circulate the motions and ammendments.

5. Revolutionary Regroupment

We got an email fro TC in Socialist Resistance which had a series of questions about the unity document.

We need to contact ISN members to get them to the 26th April conference - we have booked a room at ULU.

Kris S says that we need to make sure our member know about the unity conference.

SR are not in favour of a revolutionary unity meeting two weeks in advance of the conference.

Kat B says we should organise a regional meeting in advance of the meeting.

General discussion about what we would aim to get out of the 26th April meeting.

James N proposed a joint bulletin for the different organisations involved.

Go into Wednesday's rescheduled meeting very positively, stresssing our committment to the process and to mobilising members and individuals we work closely with for th 26th April.

6. AOB

CPGB have sent us a letter. Kris to re-circulate to the SC.