John Riddell: Democracy in Lenin's Comintern

How did Communist parties handle issues of internal discipline and democracy in Lenin’s time? The recent intense discussion within the British Socialist Workers’ Party (SWP) and beyond has heard claims that the SWP rests on the traditions of democratic centralism inherited from the Bolsheviks.

John Riddell: Democracy in Lenin's Comintern

Richard Atkinson: Death and the Bedroom Tax

Some extended thoughts about Stephanie Bottrill, the woman who committed suicide because of the bedroom tax.

Richard Atkinson: Death and the Bedroom Tax

Dave Renton: Who Was Blair Peach?

Today marks the 35th anniversary of the killing of Blair Peach by the police. David Renton looks back at Blair Peach’s life as a poet, trade unionist and committed antifascist

Dave Renton: Who Was Blair Peach?

Bunny La Roche: Nasty Little Nigel gets a rude welcome to Kent

Bunny La Roche of RS21 on Nigel Farage's visit to Kent

Bunny La Roche: Nasty Little Nigel gets a rude welcome to Kent

Financial Appeal

We're up and running! An appeal for funds to kickstart the IS Network

Financial Appeal

IS Network steering committee minutes 09/03/14

Submit to DeliciousSubmit to DiggSubmit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TechnoratiSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn

Present: Kris, Javaad, Simon, Alison, James, Luke, Paris, Kat

  • Workers Power
  • rs21
  • Revolutionary unity talks
  • Publications committee
  • Left Unity
  • National/regional meetings/day schools
  • 6-month plan
  • Dates for next meetings
  • Googlegroups/communication


1. Workers Power

Simon began the discussion. Explained that there would be three issues with WP joining the ISN - how a cadre organising joining would affect the ISN in terms of votes and balance of forces, how it would affect the relations with Socialist Resistance and how it would affect the political discussions around programme.

General discussion, speakers, Jaavad, Paris, Alison, Kris
Kris proposed writing to WP explaining the dual carding system and that anyone can join if they agree with the IS's statement. However we feel that it might not be right at this moment to appeal to them to join as an organisation, either for us or for them.

SC had a more general discussion around the revolutionary unity talks and where they were at. Agreed to table a fuller discussion at the next meeting.

2. RS21 weekend conference

Paris put forward a proposal for the Network to run a stall at the RS21 "political weekend".
We agreed to put Paris in charge of organising the stall.

3. Publications committee

Googlegroup set up, some emails exchanged about possible articles. We will be using the Facebook group to communicate as well.

The Publications Committee has to co-opt women onto it to make it constitutional  since currently it is all male.
Proposal to write an article about the history of the ISN after one year.
Paris should draft a leaflet for a RS21 event and run it past steering committee for approval

4. Left Unity

Discussion around a coordinated approach to the Left Unity conference in terms of motions and elections

Kat raised the issue of a co-ordinated approach - do we support / publicise IS Network members standing? Do we extend that to other groups' members?

Simon proposed we prepare a briefing pack for members on elections and motions to 29 March LU conference. Agreed

Paris proposed we publicise IS Network members standing for elected LU positions. Agreed

5. Next meetings

Simon proposed the next teleconference should discuss a draft six month plan. Six-month plan - Javaad and one other to produce a proposal

Steering committee face to face meeting 12 April

Proposal for a teleconference once a week, Kris will set up an online poll for the next date.