An open letter from the left to the Trade Union and Socialist Coalition steering committee against the nomination of Steve Hedley
- Category: Fighting Oppression
- Published on Saturday, 3 May 2014
- Written by ISN
This petition appears on the We Want a Women's Mag website and was endorsed by the ISN Steering Committee at a teleconference on 28-iv-2014
We, the undersigned, are members of the anti-capitalist and working class movement who are deeply disappointed and dismayed by the decision of the Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition to approve the nomination of Steve Hedley as TUSC candidate for the East Ham South Ward local election for Newham Council on May 22.
As the Steering Committee will be fully aware, Hedley was recently and publicly accused by Caroline Leneghan of serious domestic abuse. TUSC’s decision to stand him as a candidate is in direct contravention to the principles of women’s liberation which all trade unionists and socialists should support and defend. The abuse of women is a widespread problem within our society. In order to oppose this, the left and the labour movement must support women when they have the courage to come forward. We must not continue to place abusers in prominent positions within our movement.
We therefore demand that The TUSC Steering Committee:
- Publicly repudiate their support for Steve Hedley in the upcoming election and commit to not supporting his candidacy in future;
- Extend their solidarity to Caroline Leneghan, and all victims of domestic abuse;
- Make a future commitment to ensuring that the TUSC Candidate selection process takes a zero tolerance approach to gender violence.